Charlene Lyford is from Greene, New York in the Southern portion of Chenango County, 20 minutes North of Binghamton.
She became a force in Women’s running in the Northeast by training on the hills surrounding the village of Greene. She ofteh joked that she used telephone poles instead of a stopwatch to do speed and interval work. Some of Charlene’s accomplishments include:
- Charlene has won the Vestal 20k road race (one of the toughest and grueling races in New York state due to the constant rolling hills and warm June temperatures) more than any other runner- 7 times!
- She won the Lilac Festival 10k in 2000 with a time on 36 minutes and 3 seconds
- She posed a record time that still stands today at the Skunk Cabbage half marathon in Ithaca with a time of 1 hour 21 minutes and 9 seconds in 2000
- She has won back to back wins at the Vermont City Marathon in Burlington, VT in 2000 and 2001
- She qualified for the USA Olympic team in 2000 and ran the race the same year as Michelle Lafleur in 2 hours 47 minutes and 23 seconds
- Most importantly, Charlene was our Mountain Goat Run champion in 1999 AND in 2001